The Oriental Pearl Radio & Television Tower, located in Pudong Park in the Pudong New Area along the Huangpu River, is the world’s sixth and China’s second tallest radio and TV tower, at 468 m (including its antenna spire) and 153 floors. It was the tallest structure in China from when it was built in 1994 until 2007, before being surpassed by the Shanghai World Financial Center. It provides the city with more than ten television channels and ten FM radio channels. Besides this it is also a center for urban tourism, shopping, dining, and entertainment. The high vantage points from its several levels offer stunning views of Shanghai.
Pearls On A Jade Plate
The cutting-edge modern Pearl Tower has a unique architectural design and philosophy, merging the icon of China’s traditional pearls with its futuristic technological, commercial, recreational, and educational resources. The Tower consists of eleven steel spheres of various sizes ‘strung’ on three enormous columns that stand like a tripod on a patch of lush green grass, to resemble the image of pearls shining on a jade plate. At night the Tower is lit up in bright LED lights, and the sight justifies it being classified as a scenic area by the China National Tourism Administration.
Activities At Oriental Pearl Tower
The Tower is host to an amazing variety of commercial and recreational activities offering adventure, excitement, heights, and adrenaline, housed in the various spheres and columns.
There are fifteen observatory levels: the highest, the Space Capsule, is at 351 m; the Sightseeing Floor with the Sky Galleria is at 263 m; and the lowest, Space City, is at 90 m. The upper observation platform has a sightseeing deck with a transparent floor offering dizzying views of Shanghai.
The pearl at the top contains shops and restaurants, including a Revolving Restaurant.
Shanghai’s Municipal History Museum is on the ground floor in the Tower’s pedestal, and a science fantasy city is in the base of the building. A 25-room Space Hotel is spread out in the five smaller spheres between the two largest spheres in the middle of the tower. There are
exhibition facilities, and a Game City with an amusement arcade and a space-themed roller coaster 100 m above the ground. The large lower sphere has a futuristic space city featuring “Future Shanghai” in a multimedia show, and a sightseeing hall with views reaching the Yangtze River.
Ticket Price: Includes different packages with different attractions – Deluxe Package, Superior Package, High-value Package, Standard Package
Opening hours: 08:00-22:00 (admissions stop at 21:30)
5 Things To Do At Oriental Pearl Tower
- Enjoy Southeast Asian, Japanese, Chinese, European, and American cuisine buffets at the Revolving Restaurant in the Tower (Asia’s largest aerial revolving restaurant) with beautiful views of Huangpu River from above.
- Travel up and down the Oriental Pearl Tower in the double-decker elevators at the rate of seven meters per second and go up the Tower for a bird’s eye view of the whole city.
- ‘Walk on air’ on the completely transparent observatory deck ‘Transparent Sky Walking’.
- Take an exciting ride on the VR Roller Coaster that makes you fly over Shanghai on a trip packed with visual and sensory thrills.
- Find out more about Shanghai’s 700-year history at the Shanghai Municipal History Museum on the lower levels of the Tower.
5 Tips For Tourists
- You can either take the Bund Sightseeing Tunnel across the Huangpu River and get off at the Pudong side for touring Pearl Tower, or after touring Pearl Tower go on a Huangpu River cruise if you like.
- Be prepared for long queues, and for visitors who jump the queue.
- Check weather and smog conditions before your visit as they may hamper the 360° views.
- The glass platform at mid-level is a must-do for a great view and experience, and sunset and night-time views of the city are worth the visit.
- Choose the package most suited to you to make the most of your visit. Some packages to see the views from the highest platform may not be worth the extra cost, as they would not have any different view to offer.
Recommended Hotels on Oriental Pearl Tower
Getting to Oriental Pearl Tower
Take Metro Line 2 and get off at Lujiazui Station. Get out from Exit 1 and you can see the Oriental Pearl Tower.
1. Take bus 81, 82, 314, 939, 993, Cailu Special Line, Lujiazui Financial City Line 1 or Lujiazui Financial City Loop Line and get off at Lujiazui Huanlu Fenghelu Station.
2. Take City Sightseeing Bus Line 2 and get off at Dongfang Mingzhu Guangbo Dianshita (Oriental Pearl Tower) Station.