Shanghai Ocean Aquarium is one of the most striking tourist places in Shanghai. Rated among the largest man-made ocean aquariums around the globe, it comprises of two pyramid shaped buildings and covers an area of over 20,000 square meters. The aquarium also has longest glass viewing tunnel not only in Asia but also world-wide, with a length of around 155 meters.
Shanghai Ocean Aquarium, helping promote tourism in Shanghai, is home to over 10,000 marine creatures, distributed in different zones, as per their original locations in the world. It is divided into eight major zones, each representing a different part on the world’s map. These include; South America, Africa, Sub-Asia, Australia, Biological, Polar sea, Ocean depths and Cold water.
Apart from marine species , this aquarium also features different voices and pictures to elaborate cultural and geographical details of underwater places from all over the world. In short, by visiting this aquarium you can have a quick visit of five continents and four oceans demonstrated under water.
Opening Hours: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Entry Ticket Price: 90 Yuan to 160 Yuan
7 Things To Do in Shanghai Ocean Aquarium
Here is a list of 7 things, you can’t miss in your trip to Shanghai Ocean Aquarium.
- Feeding Different Creatures: Many sea creatures are fed live, at their fixed times, which can prove to be an exciting spectacle for the viewers. I’m sure none of you would ever want to miss it.
- Submarine Tunnel: This unique tunnel with its panoramic views, makes the Aquarium, not only, one of the best tourist places in Shanghai, but in the whole world as well.
- China Zone: Right now, Shanghai Ocean Aquarium is the only aquarium in the world featuring a China zone in it. This zone exhibits Yangtze valley’s marine ecology and endangered aquatic species of China. One must visit this zone because currently it is the only one of its kind in the world.
- Gift Shop: The gift shop here provides with quite worthy souvenirs, that you can take with you as memories along with those thousands of pictures captured here.
- Gold Fish named Bruce: To your surprise, the aquarium homes a group of Oranda gold fish, which are called Bruce, on the name of actor Bruce Lee. The fish has a length of 435 mm.
- Night Visits in Summers: In Summer holidays, the aquarium remains open till 10:00 pm, and is the best time to visit the aquarium because the views get more splendid at night and after all you can have enough time for a night view of the city as well.
- Nanjing Road: Among the nearby attractions is the famous Nanjing Road. To make the most out of your trip to the aquarium, you can combine it with a trip to this world’s leading shopping street. Just one station away from Shanghai Ocean Aquarium, there is Nanjing Pedestrian Mall.
Tips For Shanghai Ocean Aquarium
- If you don’t want to stress out along with kids, visit the aquarium on week days, instead of weekends.
- In Summer holidays, do keep your student card along, while visiting the aquarium because there is a concession for students with their cards.
- Long queues can be avoided by visiting after the Spring Festival.
Recommended Hotels Near Shanghai Ocean Aquarium
Getting to Shanghai Ocean Aquarium
Take Metro Line 2 and get off at Lujiazui Station. Get out from Exit 1 and you can see the Oriental Pearl Tower, which is next to the aquarium.
1. Take bus 81, 82, 314, 939, 993, Cailu Special Line, Lujiazui Financial City Line 1 or Lujiazui Financial City Loop Line and get off at Lujiazui Huanlu Fenghelu Station.
2. Take City Sightseeing Bus Line 2 and get off at Dongfang Mingzhu Guangbo Dianshita (Oriental Pearl Tower) Station.