Shanghai Wild Animal Park is one of the top rated Tourist places in Shanghai, stretching over an area of 378 acres with approximately 10,000 different species of wildlife animals. Located at about 22 miles from the centre of the city in Nanhui District, the park was formally opened to the public in 1995.
The park provides a well-organized environment to the visitors to have a close contact with the animals, pad them, feed them, and get more knowhow of their lifestyles that once was just found in documentaries and books.
Park, promoting Shanghai tourism, consists of two routes; one is the pedestrian route while the other one is for bus-rides. You can choose any of them to visit around the whole park, but preferably you should go for the more convenient bus ride and have a look how long necked giraffes are joyously nipping on leaves, greedy monkeys jumping here and there, asking for food from visitors, rare beasts roaming freely around you and many more exciting sightseeing for you.
Along with the wildlife safari, there is much more in the park including performance hall of animals, penned animals and animal incubators where you can feed little baby animals. Some of these must-do things are given below.
Entry Ticket Price: 65 Yuan to 150 Yuan
Opening Hours: 8: 00 AM to 5:00 PM (ticket selling stops at 4:00 pm)
Animal Show Times
|Animal’s Welcoming Performance and Parade||09:00 – 10:15 at weekends and holidays||the square inside the main gate of the Wild Animal Park|
|Sea Lion Show||10:00, 15:15; an extra show at 13:00 at weekends and holidays||Sea Lion Hall|
|Large Square Show||13:00||Baishoushan Square|
|Show of Lions and Tigers||11:00; an extra show at 14:30 at weekends and holidays||Animal Training Ground|
|Horse and Dog Racing||11:00||Dog Racing Circus|
|Russian Circus||Mon. – Fri.: 13:00|
Weekends and Holidays: 12:00, 14:00
|International Circus Theater|
|Tiger Hunting Training||12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00||Tiger Hunting Training Ground|
9 Things To Do in Shanghai Wild Animal Park:
- Animal Kindergarten: Many little cubs are here to feed and play with. Your children are surely going to love this part of the visit. Feeding tiger cubs with feeding bottles will certainly be a memorable thing for them.
- Hunting Sessions: One of the interesting things during safari rides is witnessing live hunting scenes by the tigers and lions as they are fed with alive chickens in front of visitors.
- Sea Lion Performance: Sea lions perform various stunts, i.e. water ballet, leaping in the water and carrying ball on head etc. The show is presented daily, from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Animal Arts Performance: From 1:30 pm to 2:30pm, many different types of animals such as peacocks, monkeys and elephants are there in the Animal’s Hill Arena to welcome all of the incoming guests of the park.
- Penned Animals’ Area: It is an amazing place where you can find many interesting species of animals, penned in large open areas. Animals here include; giant panda, white tiger, golden monkey, crocodiles, kangaroos and ostriches.
- The Water Fowls Lake: Flamingo displays in the water Fowls Lake among small green gardens in the park will surely be a refreshing sight for the eyes.
- Ligers: You would never want to miss Ligers, once in this park. Ligers or big cats are hybrid species of lion and tigers. You can feed them with your own hands, having just a thin mesh separation between you and them.
- Animal Races: Many animals including horses, dogs and ostriches are competitors in these races held in the Dog Racing Circus. You must not miss this show, presented daily on 11:00 am.
- Show of Lions and Tigers: This show takes place in Animal Arena from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm. Performances include lion ball stepping, tiger crossing circle and tiger’s horse riding.
Tips For Shanghai Wild Animal Park
- Best time to visit the park is in the morning during non-busy seasons.
- Take caged bus instead of regular bus to have a closer experience of the safari.
- Forewarning of hunting sights to be seen, so be careful if you have kids with you.
Recommended Hotels Near Shanghai Wild Animal Park
Getting to Shanghai Wild Animal Park
1. Take Metro Line 16 and get off at Wild Animal Park Station. Then take Huinan Line 6 and get off at the park.
2. Take Metro Line 2 and get off at Zhangjiang High Technology Park Subway Station. Get out from Exit 5 and find the bus stop for Zhangnan Line. Then get on the bus and get off at the Wild Animal Park.
3. Nanxin Special Line: From Shanghai Railway Station to Nanhui University Town passing the park.
Tourism Bus at Shanghai Stadium (Parking Lot No. 4) only at weekends: 9:30 from Shanghai Stadium and 16:00 back from the zoo. Reservation is necessary.