Of the many attractions in Shanghai, the Former French Concession is one of the most visited places. It is an especially popular location for taking a Shanghai walking tour and there is a good reason behind it.
The place is virtually a bridge between the old and the new. You can see how the modern-day era is showing its face from nooks and corners while the old architecture and history of the place stands steadfast. It is a great place to hang out as well with so many bars and restaurants offering great services. The tour will let you take in all the historic and cultural importance as your guide takes you through all the major spots.
Some key locations include Cathay Mansion, Lanxin Theatre, Okura Garden Hotel, Dr. Sun Yat-Sen’s residence, St. Nicholas Church, Fuxing Park, and other areas of interest. In such a small time, you will be able to pull a very special thread from the cloth of Shanghai’s history.
Duration: 3.5 hours
Departure Point: Your centrally located hotel in Shanghai
This tour is designed for city walkers, and the minimum walking time is around 3 hours. Your English tour guide will lead you through the architecture of 1930’s Art Deco and leading about the modern history of China from 1850 to 1950. You will get to know the environment and culture during this relaxed walking tour.
You will be visiting the following places:
• Okura Garden Hotel: The former French club, the lobby in the eastern part shows the best case for the French classical style in interior design.
• Lanxin Theatre: The first western-style theatre in Shanghai.
• Cathay Mansion: Formerly owned by famous Sassoon’s family, known for hosting distinguished guests worldly wide since the 1950s as well as its typical Art Deco style.
• King Albert Apartment: Another name popularly known as Royal Garden, built by the French Catholic church for expatriates living in Shanghai. Walking through this living community, which is now hidden between two busy narrow streets, one may take a close look at the French Concession.
• The former residence of Dr. Sun Yat-Sen: A museum of China’s revolutionary history.
• St. Nicholas Church: An Orthodox church built by Russian expatriates in the 1920s, small but delicate.
• Fuxing Park: The only French-style garden in the country, which experienced a lot of changes during the past 100 years. Now stays popular both for senior’s exercises in the morning and party animals’ gathering in the evening for its club and KTV party world. The walking tours that are designed for the ones of the same interests with different options at – routes to go, ways to do, and certainly, stories to hear from selected guides who are fond of this part of Shanghai history themselves. This tour offers a choice of morning and afternoon departure time (10 am or 2 pm). Your guide will come to meet you at your hotel lobby, and either take a taxi or public transportation to attractions at your own cost. After the tour, your tour guide will arrange a taxi for you to go back to your hotel or you can spend time walking around in the city by yourself.
From USD 95.00
- Hotel pickup
- Transportation to attraction
- Excellent English-speaking guide
- Entrance Tickets
- Entry/Admission – Shanghai Lanxin Theater
- Entry/Admission – Shanghai Museum of Sun Yat-sen’s Former Residence
- Personal expenses
- Hotel drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please wear comfortable shoes
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- A maximum of 10 people per booking
- Please indicate morning tour or afternoon tour in special requirement area upon booking
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.